The eggplant is both a plant from the nightshade family and its fruit. The plant originates from Myanmar and was introduced by the Arabs in the Middle Ages in Spanish Andalusia. In the middle of the 15th century, the plant was introduced further into Europe.
Vegan eggplant sushi recipe
- 4-5 nori sheets
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari (for GF version) or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp spicy chilli sauce (I used sambal oelek)
- 2 small eggplants / aubergines
- approx. 30 g / 1 oz baby spinach leaves
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cored and julienned⠀
- Tamari (for glutenfree version) or soy sauce
- Pickled ginger, store bought or homemade
- Rinse sushi rice very well until the water runs clear. I tend to do that in a glass bowl so that I can easily judge when it’s been rinsed enough.
- Place rinsed rice in a medium pot that you have a glass lid for and cover with 2 cups of water. Cover with a lid and bring to boil. Once the water comes to boil, decrease the heat down to low and let the rice cook until it has absorbed all of the water (about 10 minutes).
- Once all the water has been absorbed, switch the heat off, but do not lift the lid and let the covered pot sit on a warm hob for another 5-10 minutes to finish off cooking in its own steam.
- While the rice is cooking prepare seasoning by mixing rice vinegar, maple syrup (or sugar) and salt in a small bowl. Adjust the level of sweetness and saltiness to your taste.
- Transfer cooked rice onto a large tray (a large Pyrex works well) and season with the mixture you prepared earlier by gently folding the seasoning into the rice with a spatula (being careful not to squash the grains). Allow the rice to cool down completely – helping it cool down quicker by fanning is a good idea if you have the time⠀
Gently toast the sesame seeds on a hot pan until golden and fragrant. Crush them in a pestle and mortar. Prepare the marinade for the eggplant by combining sesame oil, tamari (or soy sauce), maple syrup, rice vinegar and sambal oelek in a shallow bowl. Add crushed sesame seeds and set aside.⠀
You can find other interesting articles about Vegan Recipes on this page
Other interesting vegan blogs for you: