Amsterdam is known for its beautiful windmills, bicycles, canals and for having something to offer everyone, that includes us vegans too! Being vegan is becoming a huge trend in Amsterdam and thus all sort of initiatives are popping up. So it’s no surprise that coffee shops are now offering vegan edibles for those who don’t smoke, but are still looking for a pleasant cannabis experience!
Vegan high, Coffee Shops, cannabis and more!
There are around 600 coffee shops in the Netherlands, of which about 220 operate in Amsterdam. The word ‘coffeeshop’ might be confusing. You could order coffee in a coffee shop, but that’s not their purpose. The idea of coffee shops was introduced as a way to segregate hard and soft drugs. In Amsterdam, it’s sort of legal to buy and use small amounts of hash and marijuana.
In addition, the overall tax revenues from the coffee shop market are € 400 million each year, which is certainly an incentive for the government to keep their toleration policies as they are. Even more when you take into consideration that 1 out of every 4 tourists who come to Amsterdam visit a coffee shop.
Where to find vegan coffeeshops in Amsterdam?
Vegan High Amsterdam is a group of girls who sell fresh homemade vegan edibles through Instagram with one goal only: To give you the best vegan high! Check their Instagram “veganhighamsterdam” to see some of their dreamy treats such as their vegan chocolate amazeballs, carrot muffins and specially requested vegan birthday space cakes!
Popeye, on the other hand, is the only vegan coffee shop in all of Amsterdam that sells vegan space cupcakes! They are open from 10:00 am – 1:00 am at Haarlemmerstraat, but make sure to call to and ask for the vegan edibles before going, as they often run out of stock.
It is legal to buy and use small amounts of hash and marijuana without running the risk of arrest. Growing and selling larger amounts, however, is punishable as well as advertising their brand. It’s important to remember that taking edibles has stronger effects than smoking the same quantity so make sure to not consume too much in order to have a pleasant experience.
Want a nice veganfoodamsterdam t-shirt to wear while having a great time in a vegan coffee shop? See Vegan Tshirt
How to make your own vegan space cake?
For anyone who wants to reach a good vegan high, but in a discreet and tasty manner.
All you will need:
- An oven
- A mixing bowl
- A cake oven tin
- Non-stick spray or lining paper
- A small bowl
- A skewer
- 8 grams of cannabis (flower)
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
- 3/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Any other vegan ingredient you want such as cocoa powder, dried fruit or anything else. Get creative!
- Grind all your cannabis.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 °C.
- Melt your butter in a bowl until it gets a gloopy, pasty consistency.
- Mix your cannabis into the butter.
- Add all of the sugar, flour, almond milk, cannabis butter, banana, etc. Mix everything together for a few minutes until you get a nice even consistency. If the mix is a too dry, add a splash of extra almond milk and if it is too wet, add some extra flour.
- Use the non-stick spray on the cake tin or line it with non-stick baking paper.
- Pour your mix into the tin, spreading it so that it is evenly distributed.
- Place your tin in the oven and leave for 25 minutes to bake.
- Stab the centre of the cake with a knife. If it comes out clean, it is ready but if the mix sticks to it, leave the cake in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 20 minutes. Place it upside down and remove the tin, allowing it to cool for a further 30 minutes.
- Decorate the cake with anything you want and thas it! Enjoy!
Do you got some additional vegan friendly places or events? Let us know by leaving a comment!
Other interesting vegan articles