The chickpea plant is 20-50 cm high and is glandular hairy. The leaves are oddly pinnate with thirteen to seventeen elliptical or reversed-ovoid leaves, the edge of which is sawn at the top. The plant blooms in June and July with white or red-blue flowers. The stem of the pod is bent downwards. There are two to three peas in the approximately 3 cm long pod. Below we have a recipe for you on how to make a vegan chickpea dish.
Vegan Chickpea Recipe
- Feeds 2⠀1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder (or to taste) ⠀
- 1 tsp smoked paprika ⠀
- 400g canned tomatoes ⠀
- 1/4 cup water ⠀
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed well ⠀
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste) ⠀
- 1/4 tsp pepper ⠀
- 3 cups baby spinach ⠀
- bunch of coriander, roughly chopped⠀
- Squeeze of lemon or lime – optional
How to prepare
- Add oil to a large saucepan on medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes. ⠀
- Add garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika and cook for a further minute. ⠀
- Stir in tomatoes, water, chickpeas, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. ⠀
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, before finishing it off with coriander.
- You can add a splash of water if it’s not saucy enough. Add a squeeze of lemon or lime. Enjoy!
You can find other interesting articles about Vegan Recipes on this page
Other interesting vegan blogs for you: