Bagels are round sandwiches with a hole in the middle. Indeed, just like a donut … but savory instead of sweet. Also, unlike donuts, they are not fried and the texture is somewhat “firmer”. Another fact is that they are very tasty. Especially if you invest them generously with all kinds of tasty things!
Our Vegan Bagels Recipe
How to make vegan bagels?
- 4 ½ cups of flour/all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- 1 sachet of yeast
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
The “everything” seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of dried garlic flakes
- 2 tablespoons of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
The boiling water mixture
- 1 liter of water
- 1 cup of agave
- Start by mixing the water and yeast together. Once mixed, add in all of the other dough ingredients. If you have a hand or stand mixer with dough hooks, use that! You can always use your hands, but this will take you longer. When the dough has formed lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in this bowl and leave to rise for 2 hours.
- While the dough is rising you can start making the “everything” seasoning. Simply mix all of the seasoning ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. I put mine on a plate for later to easily dip the bagels.
- Preheat your oven to 245°C/475°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Take the dough out of the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough into a ball. Cut that ball in half and those halves into 3 pieces (so in total 6 pieces). You can cut them bigger or smaller depending on what size bagels you want.
- Shape each dough piece into a ball and softly press it down. Don’t use too much pressure though. Using your finger, poke a hole in the middle and twist the dough around a couple of times.
- Bring the liter of water to a boil and add in the agave. I could only fit one bagel at a time, but this also depends on the size of pot you are using. Boil the bagels for 1 minute on each side. This is when you get your plate of seasoning ready. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bagels to the seasoning. Make sure you really press the seasoning into the bagels but you can always add more seasoning later if it doesn’t stick really well. Then transfer the bagels to the baking tray, seasoning on top of course.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they start to brown.
Recipe created by Eatingveganwithme.com
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR5vmNZkA9dLpeVWCSYhb7w
Other interesting vegan blogs for you: